Site News
Daily Occurrences
Site Help
Contact Me
«  Tue.12.19.2000  »
6:36 am EST        17°F (-8°C) in Ann Arbor
Calendar of Updates

You won't see this update until possibly two days after I make it, but I'm going to go ahead and make it anyway. I switched web hosting providers yesterday; I am now with One on One Internet, Inc., located in Virginia. As I write this, I am still forced to type an IP address to access the site on One on One's servers; the DNS change hasn't gone through yet, so typing "www.phatpage.org" into a browser still yields the copy of my site located on TheHostPros.com's servers in California.

Why did I switch if I wasn't paying with TheHostPros, you ask? With One on One, I'll be getting better service and more control over the site. I had to ask my server administrator for most every option I was using with TheHostPros; with One on One, I have every configuration option at my fingertips. I can use CGI scripts if I so choose; I can create mailing lists; hell, I can even give an @phatpage.org e-mail address to the first half-dozen or so people who want one. None of that was possible without prior authorization and an additional charge with TheHostPros. To TheHostPros' defense, they don't have any set plans — they "charge you for what you actually use," as their site states — but you lose out on having control over special features.

Furthermore, you're probably looking at the time at the top of this update, and wondering why I'm awake at such an ungodly hour. I have decided that an all-nighter is probably the best thing for my messed-up sleep cycle right now; if I can stay awake until probably 10:00 pm today, I should be able to reset my biological clock back to normal. That's not to say I won't take a nap of (probably) a couple hours later today, but I'll make sure to have a lot of distractions going so I don't sleep too deeply and destroy my chances of resetting myself. Lately it seems as though I've been sleeping and waking on Australian time — the only thing is, I've never been Down Under in my entire life. I hope I can reset myself to good old American Eastern Standard Time, like everybody else here.

There is something else I want to mention that's happened in the last couple days, but it's probably inappropriate for mixed company. Let's just say that I improved on the "success rate" I was bemoaning in this section on Sunday evening; even better yet, it happened totally out of the blue. Beyond that, loyal readers, I'll leave it up to your imagination.

I can feel some caffeine starting to kick in as I write. It's a good thing I don't donate blood during school terms; the Red Cross would be extremely hard-pressed to find any blood in my Coca-Cola stream. I live on the stuff; I've been known to go through entire 12-packs of 12-ounce cans in a single night of computer programming. (That goes back to the days of EECS 100, though.) My usual intake these days is a bit more like three cans a day.

Finally, although I'm not making a big deal of it (as I've been known to do in the past), the next update in this section will be the 150th one. I'm amazed at how quickly I went from 100 to 150 — just a bit over four months. It took me 10 months to register my first 50, and another 7½ months after that to reach 100. I don't think I can update much more often than I have in these past four months, though, so don't expect to see my 200th update until the middle of spring at the earliest.